Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Ellee's birthday story.

I was lucky enough to have my water break! Well, sorta..it decided to break at 3:20 in the morning. I called my midwife and she said since I hadn't started contractions yet that I could wait a bit to go to the hospital. She told me to go back to bed and get some rest. Yeah right..there was now way I was sleeping! At about 7:30am we headed to the hospital stopping at my friend Julie's house to drop off the dogs. She took one last prego pic of Shayne and me.

By the time I got all checked in at 8:30am I had still not had any major contractions and was dilated only to 1cm. My midwife was slightly concerned because when your water breaks after the 18hr. mark they get concerned with infection. I wasn't anywhere near 18 hrs yet but, she still suggested I jump start contractions. She gave me this pill that comes to as close to natural as possible without using petocin. It wasn't supposed to kick in until after 4o min. but, not even 15 min later I had a major contraction that lasted a long time..my stomach was not releasing it. At the same time Ellee's heart rate dropped severely for about 8 minutes. Before I knew it there was nurses everywhere along with my midwife and they were paging a Dr. and shoving an IV in me and telling me to flip over along with lots of other stuff...talk about scary. They gave me a shot to release the contraction and Ellee's heart rate went back up to normal. At that point my midwife checked me again and I had jumped to being dilated to 3cm. And with in 2 hours I was up to 5cm. I was begging for an epidural at this point! The contractions were so close together I didn't even have a chance to catch my breath.


Let me just say I will never give birth without that epidural..it is wonderful!!! :) I couldn't feel any pain! After the epidural it was only about 4 short hours until I was dilated to 10cm and Ellee's heart rate was slightly low again. My midwife said it was time to start pushing. 1 short hour later and Miss Ellee was in my arms!


I cannot even express the emotions that ran through me! It was love at first sight! And she had already gotten her Daddy wrapped around her little finger!

Sorry this has taken me so long to post. It has been a very busy week! I can't believe Miss Ellee is already a week old!!

No comments:

Post a Comment