Thursday, February 10, 2011

DNT TXT.

I have to admit, I'm guilty of texting while driving.  I never thought it was such a big deal and I always thought, nothing could ever happen to me... that happens to other people...

A couple weeks ago I watched Extreme Home Makeover.  They were building a house for the Brown family.  They had recently lost their daughter to a horrible car accident.  Their daughter was texting while she was driving herself to school.  She lost control of her truck and flipped it several times.  Not only was she texting, but she wasn't wearing her seat belt.  She was ejected from her truck.  Her Mom got worried when her school called and said she had never made it to school.  After getting no answer when trying to call her on her cell phone she went looking for her.  A mother's worst nightmare, Alex's mom found her daughter's flipped truck along the side of a local hwy and then found her body.  Alex was taken to the hospital where her parents had to make the impossible decision to let her go.  Such a sad and heartbreaking story!  If only she hadn't been texting while she was driving!
The Brown family is an amazing family.  They decided to make something good come out of the tragic loss of their daughter.  They load up their daughter's truck and take it from school to school in their home state Texas, telling the tragic story that led to their daughter's death.  With the help of Extreme Home Makeover they have also set up a website dedicated to getting their message out all over the country. Remember Alex Brown.  They eventually hope to travel all over the country showing teen drivers their daughter's truck
This story truly got me thinking, but it didn't stop me from completely putting my phone down while I was driving.  I cut back on the amount texts I sent while driving and I started using the voice to text feature, but I didn't stop completely.  I have realized that isn't good enough! 
Today, I read the article on the 6 month old baby boy that was killed because someone couldn't wait until they weren't driving to send a text. 
This hits close to home.  After reading the article all I could think about was that I have been putting not only my life in danger, but Ellee's life in danger.  And everyone else out on the road with me.  It's NOT worth it!  I WILL NOT text while driving EVER again!  It is to dangerous and not worth my daughter's life!  I really hope that whoever reads this will stop and think about how dangerous texting while driving is!  There are so many distractions out there on the road.  Why add another one by texting and driving!  It's not worth your life or anyone else's!

1 comment:

  1. Hey L I posted a link on my FB profile a couple months back about these 'Txting Kills' thumb rings to wear as a reminder. Maybe Google txting kills and see what comes up? I stopped texting and driving when I got a touch screen and could no longer count each button out so I knew what I was typing while driving. It is extremely scary and 100% preventable! Thank you

    ReplyDelete